If you’ve never treated yourself to eating tortillas warm off the griddle (smother them in butter for best effect), then you’ve deprived yourself of one of life’s greatest simple pleasures.
The combination of the chewy tortilla smothered in butter that’s melting nicely due to the warm tortilla is far more comforting than a meal of meatloaf and mashed potatoes and gravy or even macaroni and cheese!
Smothered in butter warm from the griddle and these are heaven on earth!
So to help you experience this Tex Mex comfort food, take a look below at a simple and quick tortilla recipe, courtesy of Kristin Van Dyken of West Richland, Washington, via TasteOfHome.com.
You will need (to make eight tortillas):
- Two cups of all-purpose flour
- One-half teaspoon of salt
- Three-quarter cup of water
- Three tablespoons of olive oil
- A large bowl
- Dough roller
- Large nonstick skillet (coated with cooking spray)
(Van Dyken notes that you may want to double the quantity of ingredients to make 16 tortillas, as they tend to get gobbled up quickly!)
- Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl. Then stir in the water and oil.
- Spread flour on a surface and turn the flour mixture onto it, kneading it ten to 12 times. Make sure you add a bit of flour and water as needed in order to ensure the dough becomes smooth.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Now divide the dough into eight pieces (or 16, if you’ve doubled your ingredients) and on the floured surface, knead the pieces into 7-inch circles.
- Coat the skillet with cooking spray and take each tortilla and cook it over medium heat for one minute on each side until the tortilla is browned slightly.
You can keep the tortillas warm by wrapping them in aluminum foil or in a damp towel and placing them in a slow cooker or in the oven set on low.
If you don’t have a heat source, double wrap them in foil and then wrap the foil in a dishtowel.
You also can place them in a traditional tortilla warmer.
Each tortilla has 159 calories and 5 grams of fat (1 gram of saturated fat), with 25 grams of carbohydrates and no cholesterol. (Smother the tortilla with butter, however, and all bets are off!)
We love tortillas as much as you do and offer flour and corn tortillas as well as tortilla chips. Visit one of our Mattito’s locations soon and we’ll bring them warm to your table as soon as you ask!
“NCI flour tortillas“. Licensed under Public Domain via Commons.