Burritos are one of the most satisfying of foods (in our humble opinion). They can provide a hearty meal of shredded beef, chicken or even rice and beans. The also provide some vegetables in the form of lettuce and tomatoes and some very rib-sticking satisfaction with cheese. A salsa. Let’s not forget the salsa!
Take a look below at this quick burrito recipe using ground beef. (Note: these burritos are a bit spicy. Maybe too spicy for children, but we’ve found that adults tend to love them!)
You will need (for five servings of two burritos each):
- One pound of ground beef (lean).
- One and one-quarter cup of peeled potatoes (finely chopped).
- One-half cup of chopped onion.
- Two cloves of minced garlic.
- Two jalapeno peppers (fresh), or two canned jalapeno peppers. Seed them and chop them finely.
- One 15-ounce can of spicy chili beans (undrained)
- One-quarter teaspoon of salt (or to taste)
- One-eighth teaspoon of pepper (or to taste)
- One-quarter to one-half teaspoon of ground cumin (this is optional).
- Ten 10-inch plain flour tortillas (you also can use 10 spinach tortillas).
- One or two cups of Monterey Jack cheese or one or two cups of cheddar cheese.
- Sour cream.
- In a non-stick skillet, add the ground beef, onion, jalapeno peppers, and garlic.
- Then cook the mixture over medium-high heat for five to seven minutes (or until the beef is browned and the veggies are tender. Stir often and drain well when browned.
- Add in the bean, pepper, salt and the ground cumin (if you wish); stir to mix.
- Bring the mix to a boil and lower the heat, simmering for five minutes and stirring often.
- Take a tortilla and spoon about half a cup of the mix into the center of each and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Roll up like a burrito and keep the mix inside the roll by folding its ends under.
- Place the burritos seam-side down on a greased baking dish and cover with foil.
- Then bake for 10 to 12 minutes at 350 degrees F, or until heated thoroughly.
- You may then serve with salsa and sour cream, as desired.
While we don’t offer burritos on our Mattito’s menu, we do understand that many people just love them! If that is you and you’ve a huge hankering for a burrito, let us know and we’ll be happy to make one (or two or three) up for you!
Visit the Mattito’s location nearest you for some of the best Tex Mex cuisine throughout the Dallas region.